The opinions and photographs within this web page are not ours.
Authors have been credited for the individual posts where they are.
Photos in the slide show courtesy of Glenn Van As- www.rxroots.com
From: Glenn van As
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 2:58 AM
Subject: [roots] Removal of screw post
Hi folks: Here was a case that I did today. I have my fair share of failures but this
wasnt one of mine. It was a failing old amalgam in a lower first left premolar with one
of those Flexipost screwposts that were so popular in the late 80s and early 90s.......
whatever happened to them huh.
Well I removed the amalgam.......located the post rock solid with some type of GI cement
which was easy to get out but the post was long and screwed in.
Held my breath and troughed with some tips from Obtura/Spartan first , then troughed
with some smaller ones ( green mini ones), Tried the Ruddle post remover to unscrew it
counterclockwise but the patient was unable to really open wide enough for me to get in
there as it was too long.
Back to the ultrasonics holding my breath......lots of water in the troughing area like
Gary taught me and then I finally got a hemostat on it and unwound it from the canal.
Used some Chloroform ( a drop or two ) and then got a #15 to WL ( not the one you see).
Placed some CaOh as I ran outta time.
Tomorrow I show you one of my not so good cases which I retreated better today.
It will be a Pre Roots and Post Roots version!!
Thanks for helping me out so much .......
Slide show photos by Glenn
From: Fred Barnett
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 3:57 PM
Masterfully done and documented.
From: Glenn van As
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 7:55 PM
Thanks Fred: It took a LONG time as I had two hours for the appointment and I feel
I should have got the post out quicker but no way.
It took me an hour to get it out.
I felt good for the whole day though when it was done.
Thanks again for those kind words.